Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Want by Stephanie Lawton

Want by Stephanie Lawton


Julianne counts the days until she can pack her bags and leave her old-money, tradition-bound Southern town where appearance is everything and secrecy is a way of life. A piano virtuoso, she dreams of attending a prestigious music school in Boston. Failure is not an option, so she enlists the help of New England Conservatory graduate Isaac Laroche to help her.
She can't understand why he suddenly gave up Boston's music scene to return to the South. He doesn't know her life depends on escaping it. Julianne must face down madness from without, just as it threatens from within. Isaac must resist an inappropriate attraction, but an indiscretion at a Mardi Gras ball-the pinnacle event for Mobile's elite-forces their present wants and needs to collide with sins of the past.

Will Julianne accept the help she's offered and get everything she ever wanted, or will she self-destruct and take Isaac down with her?

REVIEW: 3 STARS

I saw a review on this book at another blog I had visited and I was immediately intrigued. I'm a music nerd so whenever I see a book that has to do with the amount of dedication and sacrifice it takes to make a living from music, it makes it a must read in my eyes. Although it started out as a must read, it did not end like that. My heart went out to Julianna and her whole home dynamic. When we learn about how her mother treats her it made me sick to my stomach. When Isaac came into her life I was excited to read about him because I've always had a thing for older men but my excitement quickly waned. Issac was just very mean and obnoxious. There were things that he did for her that were very sweet but they were quickly outnumbered by the things he did to put her down. Dave on the other hand was a total sweetheart. He knew from the start that he liked her for exactly who she was. Normally I hate it in books when there is a main romance and than another person steps in to ruin it, but in this book that's all I wanted. I wanted Julianna to just get over Isaac and run into Dave's arms. As much as there were characters that I couldn't stand, there were characters that I abosolutely wanted to be real. I immediately felt a strong connection to her piano teacher Mr. Cline. He really cares about her and it showed. Her brother R.J. was also another very sweet character. I wanted Julianna to tell her brother what was happening so that he could help her. The family dynamic and her music expertise were most definitely the best parts of the book. Her struggles were heartbreaking and I wanted to reach into the book and help her. All in all this book wasn't bad. The other reviewer really enjoyed this book and I was hoping that I would too but I just couldn't get into it.

Find it at Barnes and Noble
Find it at Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment